What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion channelx Supercharging Jellyfin: .strm straight from google drive.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
No, there is a plugin available on GitHub that is able to do this.
I've installed it recently so contact me on Pgblitz and I'll see what I can help with, but I'm not an expert by any means :p

I think the developer though will/soon be working on something to 'transcode' audio streams to AAC.
Also the one I use works with Team Drives.
Theer are indeed a couple out theree. the thing is, good features lack in one that are available in the other. So we're trying to have both of them.

And as mentioned it's quite a pain to set it up. That process needs to be simplified too.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Did that for a long time on kodi. Are you guys having problems running plex on small vps’? I had it going on 2vcpu/2gb ram/20gb 5 users no problem. Just make sure they don’t transcode.
It won't run like this. For starters, plex can not do .strm files so for plex this would be very unusefull.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Oh Ok. I thought channelx may be some sort of plugin capable of doing that.
Yes that is exactly what is happening. It is stand alone at the moment so not a jellyfin plugin.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Look into Kodi Google drive addon as, I believe, it can create the strm files from the team drive. Perhaps, you could use that feature of Google drive addon to create strm files and then direct jellyfin to use that as a source(?) I am really looking forward to try this out.
It is the same principle as that kodi plugin. For some reason ours doesn't work with teamdrive but a good suggestion you have there and it's exactly what we're doing.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
I think the developer though will/soon be working on something to 'transcode' audio streams to AAC.
Also the one I use works with Team Drives.
Some of the plugins that are out thee have stopped in terms of development. So if we are looking into the same one, I don't think that's going to happen. It will also not be needed since the script is capable of serving the transcodes from google itself. No need to convert to AAC up front, by jellyfin or while streaming. Why should we bother while google does the work for you? haha

Teflocarbon

Donor
No need to convert to AAC up front, by jellyfin or while streaming. Why should we bother while google does the work for you? haha
Haha, yeah.
While that is true unfortunately Googles drive transcode only use the first audio track available.
Sometimes this is the commentary track or a completely different language.

Also if it can detect the video it wont transcode.

dinklegeta

Respected Member
The problem is it's pretty app dependant on what actually gets streamed straight from google versus the server. The android app in particular forces streaming through the server rather than direct from google. This is the same with emby, there was an old emby apk that worked direct but ultimately I abandoned it for PG/Blitz.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
The problem is it's pretty app dependant on what actually gets streamed straight from google versus the server. The android app in particular forces streaming through the server rather than direct from google. This is the same with emby, there was an old emby apk that worked direct but ultimately I abandoned it for PG/Blitz.
That's the whole point and also why plex is lagging. Everything needs to go trough there. With this, you basically don't need the app. You can just install kodi on your fav android device or other, install the addon and be done with it.

dinklegeta

Respected Member
That's the whole point and also why plex is lagging. Everything needs to go trough there. With this, you basically don't need the app. You can just install kodi on your fav android device or other, install the addon and be done with it.
Kodi on android mobile is really lacking from an interface and usability perspective.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
then just compile one of the jelly apps haha. They are the open source ones from emby so chances are that what you described will work.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
also on the incompatibility. That's not the apps or whatever's fault. It's the users. Everyone compares these things to netflix enviroments, AMZN platforms, you name it. What people seem to forget is that systems like plex, emby or even jellyfin aren't meant to be a direct replacement for those services or want to be used as such, eventhough they advertise themselves like that. Services like google, youtube, netflix, amazon make their files STREAM ready. None of the transcoding is done in real time, like a Plex or Emby does. So if your file can not play while grabbing it directly from google, it's because it isn't suitable for what you want to do. Second, I see a lot of people using remuxes with TrueHD and DTSHD-MA audiotracks. Mind you they are licensed systems. To build in support for this, Plex, Emby and what not would have to license each and every client that is being downloaded to make it work. So sorry but in the end it's the end user that that choses for their files not working and nobody seems to grasp that.

dinklegeta

Respected Member
then just compile one of the jelly apps haha. They are the open source ones from emby so chances are that what you described will work.
That was exactly the point of my original comment, the direct playback of the strm files are dependant on the app. The Jellyfin and emby apps have restrictions for external source playback. I went through all of this a year and half ago, it's great if you only use an app that does not have the restrictions but when you use multiple devices across different platforms it's effectively pointless.

captngimpy

Staff
that's why i went through and converted my library to h264 aac. Let me tell you the issues people were bringing up to me have gone down quite a bit. Pretty much doesn't matter what the end player is and no one on my system is a cinefile as long as they can watch what they want when they want and its not someone shaking a camera the whole time they are happy.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
That was exactly the point of my original comment, the direct playback of the strm files are dependant on the app. The Jellyfin and emby apps have restrictions for external source playback. I went through all of this a year and half ago, it's great if you only use an app that does not have the restrictions but when you use multiple devices across different platforms it's effectively pointless.
I compiled the jellyfin app for android and it works fine. Well the one that's built on electron does. It takes the google links without a problem but, AC3 doesn't work and that is the problem with electron not supporting it or whatever component is responsable.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
One thats pretty universally considered is AAC H264, practically any device/client will be supported.
So use that if you can :p
Exactly. I play those back on any device, even with this setup, without a glitch. Actually, Amazon, iTunes and even netflix have AAC audiotracks too. The groups that rip this content just don't mux it into the .mkv. even iTunes downloads have two audiotracks. DD+ or DD are used because they're standardized formats. Even Hulu has AAC as a standard.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
that's why i went through and converted my library to h264 aac. Let me tell you the issues people were bringing up to me have gone down quite a bit. Pretty much doesn't matter what the end player is and no one on my system is a cinefile as long as they can watch what they want when they want and its not someone shaking a camera the whole time they are happy.
Exactly. It just needs to work and having a system that constantly needs to transcode on a per user basis doesn't work. This does. I've started to convert the few files that contain AC3 or DTS I have and from here on won't have any issues anymore. Even my phone takes em like a crackwhore now haha.

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Exactly. It just needs to work and having a system that constantly needs to transcode on a per user basis doesn't work. This does. I've started to convert the few files that contain AC3 or DTS I have and from here on won't have any issues anymore. Even my phone takes em like a crackwhore now haha.
If you have/add multiple audio files, does the STRM codec default to the first track, the track set as "default" or the first compatible stream? I could see any one of those three options as working, but it would impact how I remux the files.

BTW, there is a web-based GUI for MKVToolNix in the user apps section. It works very well for either removing or adding audio streams, and marking them as the default stream. Works right on the server now without any downloading.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SirTranceALoT Share Invites & Openings 6