What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion channelx Supercharging Jellyfin: .strm straight from google drive.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
well, it does work. This is Jellyfin running on strm files, no rclone mount and on the most crappy VPS (2 vCores, 4 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD). I swear the performance you see here is real. This is not hosted locally at my home. Files are stored on google drive and jellyfin is hosted on that shitass VPS. No transcoding is happening either.

I would seriously like to thank my channelx possy for thinking this trough and doing the necessary. You guys are fucking legends. Mind you this is a concept so not finished. It isn't working with teamdrive yet.

Oh and, for those that are still doubting this is working, I made another video showing that in the metadata settings the file is indeed a .strm file.

Here it is running on Kodi. I just did a quick setup so no kodi tweaks applied to reduce buffering. That's why it takes a bit longer. I use this setup on my xbox and it works fine;

Last edited:

captngimpy

Staff
Aren't the strm basically just a small txt or xml file that points to the location of the file on Gdrive and triggers it to play remotely. I keep seeing these pop up and its interesting but from what I understand a little complex to setup.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Yes you are right @captngimpy. That is exactly what .strm files are. What actually happens is you bypass the server completaly when playing them back. Your client is fed the file from google drive directly. It is even possible to use the transcodes that google drive makes so you can offload the server completaly.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
noope and don't need to. Nobody gets to see the files. You get a very specific link with tokens that need to be validated.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
LOL. You don't want google to know what you're storing but you're on a board that promotes storing illegal content on google drive? I think you should be worried more about people or undercover feds on here then google seeing what you store or encryption. Google or hetzner or any storage provider doesn't care about what you store as long as hte are not held responsible.

captngimpy

Staff
I'm not worried I leave it unencrypted to much of a hassle to encrypt. And who are they to say I don't own the rights to the media without a complaint and who to say what I have on there with out access to my drive to even complain. Especially since Plex allows you to record live tv.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Exactly. I don't use encryption either. In fact, google and all others KNOW people are storing illegal content, wether it's encrypted or not. They can't do anything about it since they'd invade your privacy if they did. And true, they don't know if you hold the rights or not. It would be a total different thing if you went and sell those files and yet, that also wouldn't be a problem if you pay the rights to every sold copy. And yeah, it takes too much time to encrypt or decrypt for that matter. I mean, if you watch the video's you can see a real speed gain in all of this. We also tested it in different regions. Still works like a charm so that's proof that it's beging geo located. Pretty neet I would say. No more worries about bad connections from EU to US.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Dexxa

Respected Member
Staff
I've just installed jellyfin on a crappy free server i have from cloudatcost lol with these specs

2 CPU:​
3%
1536MB RAM:​
0%
25GB SSD​

Shockingly its running more smooth then plex did lol

captngimpy

Staff
Like I said when I looked into it kinda seemed like a pain to setup. Also could never find a very conclusive guide Todo so. I'm really interested in testing it out.

Edit:also just saw that it's not working with teamdrive which is kinda a deal breaker currently.

Last edited:

something

Respected Member
Is this a plugin? Where do I find how to install it?

I have setup the Google drive addon on Kodi. It works very similar way - it creates the strm files which can be incorporated into Kodi library and works very well even with transcoding.

captngimpy

Staff
I guess the basic idea is to create strm files from the Kodi addon and then add those to your jellyfin library from what I can gather.

something

Respected Member
Like I said when I looked into it kinda seemed like a pain to setup. Also could never find a very conclusive guide Todo so. I'm really interested in testing it out.

Edit:also just saw that it's not working with teamdrive which is kinda a deal breaker currently.

Look into Kodi Google drive addon as, I believe, it can create the strm files from the team drive. Perhaps, you could use that feature of Google drive addon to create strm files and then direct jellyfin to use that as a source(?) I am really looking forward to try this out.

Kn0s

Respected Member
Did that for a long time on kodi. Are you guys having problems running plex on small vps’? I had it going on 2vcpu/2gb ram/20gb 5 users no problem. Just make sure they don’t transcode.

Teflocarbon

Donor
No, there is a plugin available on GitHub that is able to do this.
I've installed it recently so contact me on Pgblitz and I'll see what I can help with, but I'm not an expert by any means :p

I think the developer though will/soon be working on something to 'transcode' audio streams to AAC.
Also the one I use works with Team Drives.

Last edited:

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
We are fixing it up so it works with teamdrive so that will be solved quite soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SirTranceALoT Share Invites & Openings 6