What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

can you hardware trans code from RYZEN 5 3600X

scott

Blitz 3rd Class
So I built a AMD Plex server with a P2000 GPU. I cant get it to work and i think its because you cant HW trans code from a AMD processor?

is this true?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
You're confusing HW transcoding (eg done in HardWare) with transcoding (eg done in software). AMD chips without intergraded graphics (aka iGPU) can't do HW transcoding, neither can intel, as they have no graphics hardware, they will do software transcoding which uses the CPU. If your 3600x had an intergraded graphics option, it could in theory do HW transcoding, but generally AMD don't do well in this scenario compared to intel/nvidia. You are using a P2000 to do HW transcoding, if the file format isn't suitable, it'll fallback to software transcoding. For that to work you need a PlexPass subscription. Also because of the way transcoding in Plex works, if you ever hit the resource limit of the card, it won't transcode anymore streams, that said you'd need to be doing a lot of streams to experience the issue.

When you do get HW transcoding working, look into the HW decoding patch doing the rounds for docker, i've not tried it yet, but reports are positive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.