What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Buffering / Videos stop playing

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

claytonj

Ive recently migrated from an all local Plex and NAS storage to Gsuite on an Afterburst VPS. I have a handful of friends who access plex. I also kept a local ubuntu server connected to gsuite for the family at home. I've been running into issues where the show/movie buffers like crazy of simply freezes up and wont play. I've gone the route of using SIckbeard to convert the media to MP4 with no success. These are only 1080p files. Are there any settings for the tdrive that Im missing or other ideas? I dont forsee its a local bandwidth issue as I have a sold 200/200 circuit. This happens during direct play or transcoding which is what makes me think its an issue with my trdive (gsuite) settings.

Any pointers is appreciated.

Last edited:

iamsith

Donor
I have noticed recently the same issue where videos will play for about 15-30 seconds then hang and never recover. I can't say anything for certain but it exclusively happens when casting to a Chromecast, and only if cast from a mobile device like a tablet or phone. If we cast from my laptop or pc, or play on a web browser it is perfectly fine, which leads me to believe it's a bug with the mobile apps but I can't really say for sure. Hope this helps a little.

claytonj

I thought it was device specific also but I tried from my laptop and FireStick 4k and had the same exact experience. I also have friends who use smart TV, IOS devices and Xbox with the same issue. Strange thing is its not all the time, 1 movie will work fine and another wont. I've re downloaded using another source but no good. I migrated to Gsuite because my NAS was full it didnt want to spend 1k to build a proper NAS.

hooper

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
have you hit some API limit? check the API dashboard. What other apps are you running? What settings have you used in Plex?

basically, you want to limit the amount of unneccesary file scanning you do of your plex content to prevent hitting an API limit and having your access throttled.

claytonj

As far as I can tell no API limit. On these VMs Im only running Plex, 3 vcpu / 4gb ram (1 is Afterburst VPS anf the other is my local ESXi) I've set Sonar and Radarr to trigger the notification to Plex and Plex isnt scanning the drive.
Ive turned on HW encoding and off with the same results. I read on some reddit boards there are others having similar issues and it could be related to a issue in the server code itself.

claytonj

Could there be any settings or tweaks I can adjust within my mounts or plex itself. I've always had a local server with local storage so Im wondering if theres something on the plex or drive mount I could tweak.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Have you enabled cache in your TDrive settings? Your WAN bandwidth may not be the issue, it could be routing/peering (what happens when you run the speedtest server built into PG?) or that the local devices are for example connected via wifi etc. Unfortunately diagnosing an issue requires you to methodically work backwards until you find the issue.

iamsith

Donor
I did some more reading on the plex official forums other people have also reported the issue and they claim that if you remove the stop playback after paused for X limit the issue goes away. I had mine set to 10 minutes and after removing it things seem fine again. I still can't swear by it but worth a shot for a workaround, if that is the problem I really hope this gets fixed soon, I have several users who I don't want to give the boot to for not knowing how to shut off their streams.. My wife included haha.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

hooper

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
I did some more reading on the plex official forums other people have also reported the issue and they claim that if you remove the stop playback after paused for X limit the issue goes away. I had mine set to 10 minutes and after removing it things seem fine again. I still can't swear by it but worth a shot for a workaround, if that is the problem I really hope this gets fixed soon, I have several users who I don't want to give the boot to for not knowing how to shut off their streams.. My wife included haha.
can you provide a link to the plex discussion?

claytonj

My settings are 0 I cleared them and plex adds 0 back. However nothing will play today I just get the spinning circle but and no movie will play.

claytonj

I guess I somehow hit a 24 hour download quota ban. All of my rclone settings are set to the defaults and Im still getting the buffering issues. Are the only options for rclone changed via the menu or can I edit the config file (wherever its located)?

claytonj

So i didnt change anything on my end other than updating my test server to Version 1.18.0.1944 the problem has gone away.. My live server is running Version 1.18.0.1913 and the problem is still occurring. It appears the issue was resolved in the new version.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.