What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Advice wanted for a new server

emesix

Hello all,

Want to buy a new computer for PGblitz and some other dockers containers. Having alott of problems with IOwaits during and after unpacking. Thinking of the following.

Mainboard ITX.
AMD Ryzen 3600 or 2700 (maybe swap it with mine current 1700)
32GB of Memory
512GB M2 NVMe drive samsung
4GB HDD drive for storage and maybe a buffer for stuff that need uploading to google cloud.

Anybody some real life advice to make a PGblitz server with low IOwaits and non server hardware?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Have you looked at the hard linking process? This can significantly reduce your iowait issues. As far as spec goes, I built a Ryzen 1700 (65w non X version) with 32GB and a 500GB 970 Pro shortly after launch, even now its still a very powerful server, combined with a cheap GPU I’ll run out of uplink well before I run out of CPU/GPU/IO. The current used pricing on 1st gen Ryzen makes it amazingly good value compared to intel for mixed workloads, what that ignores is that intel + iGPU is vastly more efficient if your main GPU usage is transcoding.

emesix

Well i know i am doing something wrong on the HDD side of things. First i was doing everything on a 4GB HDD. That was slow as hell... Then a installed a 120GB SSD with a mount point /mnt/incomplete .... was a quick-fix for the speed issue but now IOwait was a problem. So i am thinking at this point to make a new system wit a large enough NVMe so that moving data is minimal. Anyway that was mine idea to fix IOwait but not sure if its the wright way. Still want a larger HDD as a buffer when all extraction is done and befor it is send to Gdrive.

Also i want to run more dockers for on this box, like a domotica, wiki and other stuff.

Trans-coding will be for 2 users max... And 4K maybe happen in 2020.... I am also a big kodi fan (still using the Xbox controller as a remote for kodi). So a external media box will have mine personal preference. So upgrading to a Nvidia card might be a option...

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
If you follow the hard linking section of the wiki, IO Wait would look like a lot less of a problem, you could also consider doing the work with a cheap VPS, with a modest 200Mbit symmetrical connection and hard linking, an SSD box should manage 2TB a day.

Caddy

Respected Member
Hello all,

Want to buy a new computer for PGblitz and some other dockers containers. Having alott of problems with IOwaits during and after unpacking. Thinking of the following.

Mainboard ITX.
AMD Ryzen 3600 or 2700 (maybe swap it with mine current 1700)
32GB of Memory
512GB M2 NVMe drive samsung
4GB HDD drive for storage and maybe a buffer for stuff that need uploading to google cloud.

Anybody some real life advice to make a PGblitz server with low IOwaits and non server hardware?
almost my exact setup. only difference I have is that I have 3 500gb ssd drives so that I can run esxi I have 3 linux servers running on my host one of which is pgblitz. I dont have any iowait. my main storage is a nfs share to a qnap with 27tb of storage.

each vm has its on ssd it runs on. i am running the rysen 2700 and it is great. no issues so far.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.