8.0 Changelog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin9705

Administrator
Original poster
Project Manager
Team,
Version 8 is a new version of PG that’s creating a proper directory structure and as a result, PG 5 – 7 are not compatible; the v8 installer will appear to work and then block the user!  We are working to transition PG, but it will take time.  If you have a small-smaller server, it’s recommend to start fresh.
USERS OWN RISK for PG 7 to PG 8 upgrade – If you really want to update with 0 support, then use the following command:  rm -rf /var/plexguide/pg.number and then use the v8 installer on the page.
Take Note:

Plex will work from the legacy use by installing PG 8.0.11 and above
Sonarr/Radarr will require the user to mass change the paths from /unionfs to /mnt/unionfs
NZBGET and SABNZBD, use the wiki to the paths to the version 8 defaults (it’s posted)
You must REDEPLOY all containers because they will hold on to PG7 stuff.  Use PGBox and type the app even if it’s missing (it will redeploy).
Please read the very bottom of this post to see other mass changes made!
Edit...
Continue reading...

Last edited:

turner123

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
"8.0 will starts with the new directory structure." ok will this be explained? maybe a written tutorial on the forum as its sometimes better than a video tutorial.

Reactions: AugusDogus

Xployt

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
Sponsor
Backer
@turner123 as always I'm sure @Admin9705 will push out a more detailed write up in time to come along with all the other hard work he puts in.

@bubbadk I believe in 8.0 the following containers are to be dropped:
nzbhydra v1, organizr v1, sickrage, sickchill, sonarr v1, and nzbhydra v1, couchpotato

These have been released with newer versions that have a more PG focus.

Agreed on the backups (PG Vault) are the containers that are being kept save to restore?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyber Sh4d0w

hooper

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
Admin, I have had to reinstall my PG system several times over the last few months. Will it be a requirement to have a new install for v8, or is this just due to the fact that it is a beta?

If it is a requirement to new install v8 then I will most likely stay on 7.7.

Admin9705

Administrator
Original poster
Project Manager
Admin, I have had to reinstall my PG system several times over the last few months. Will it be a requirement to have a new install for v8, or is this just due to the fact that it is a beta?

If it is a requirement to new install v8 then I will most likely stay on 7.7.
ya new install, if you see the screenshots above, you'll see why. the version 7 installer will stay up incase even when 8 is the main one. purpose of why new installer was built in 7.6

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

murkr

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
Donor
ya new install, if you see the screenshots above, you'll see why. the version 7 installer will stay up incase even when 8 is the main one. purpose of why new installer was built in 7.6
If this is to be the case would it be possible when you get time to let us know how we would go about setting up a new v8 install using a 7.7 backup, pretty please :) (I'm in no rush as I literally went to 7.7 from 7.5 yesterday lol)

IMDMonkey

Blitz 3rd Class
Staff
It would be nice to have a "migration" plan for those that have large data sets, especially the one for Plex itself. The software could be a reinstall, including new paths, but there should be a way to move over databases, etc. when it makes sense.

Might even be a manual process, but it should still be something that we work on.

mondychan

Blitz 3rd Class
It would be nice to have a "migration" plan for those that have large data sets, especially the one for Plex itself. The software could be a reinstall, including new paths, but there should be a way to move over databases, etc. when it makes sense.

Might even be a manual process, but it should still be something that we work on.
++ on that, ateleast for plex container, we should be able to move that one over...
its almost impossible (atleast for me) to even consider redoing all the plex matches + sonarr/radarr databases :(

thepj

Blitz Sergeant
Staff

Absolutely this, in the last month and a half having to start from scratch for multiple apps and now the whole setup, without being able to restore backups, isn't something we should be doing. Time providing a solution for people that are not that technical to have their containers backed up, and restored into the new paths should be something required, not an after thought.

I can't suggest using this to a friend that isn't Linux savvy, and every time he wants to up date (maybe once every other month) he has to start from scratch.

rcarteraz

Blitz Sergeant
Absolutely this, in the last month and a half having to start from scratch for multiple apps and now the whole setup, without being able to restore backups, isn't something we should be doing. Time providing a solution for people that are not that technical to have their containers backed up, and restored into the new paths should be something required, not an after thought.

I can't suggest using this to a friend that isn't Linux savvy, and every time he wants to up date (maybe once every other month) he has to start from scratch.
Not to mention, the first PG install video I came across specifically talked about not needing to be a linux guru to use this software.

Is v9, v10, and so on going to move forward from the previous versions as well? Do we have a development roadmap that we could assist you with so that these rewrites and complete reinstall aren't the norm moving forward?
This here. The number of releases are just too high to be honest. I think a more structured release plan is necessary. Releases need to spend more time in beta before they are released to the public. Currently, it feels like every little change has a new version. Maybe group more of these changes together to cut down on the number of releases, especially with v8+. I love that you are dedicated to making this better and I'm not trying to complain but simply offer some input. Thanks.

hooper

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
I guess I don't understand the need to completely re-install with v8. I really don't want to have to do that.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs
Status
Not open for further replies.